Monday, August 4, 2008

A very long chemo session

Hello to my faithful and wonderful friends,

My 5th chemo session was very long. Don took me to the Hoag Hospital about 8 am on Friday August 1st, to first get my blood test, which I do every week and than to the Hoag Cancer Center for my treatment. It was very long since, they gave me more meds than the usual 3 types of chemo, plus zometa, which is for my bones, than the anti nausea drip, and they hydration which is a big gigantic bottle which takes about 4 1/2 hours to finish. Finally got home about 7:45 that night but during the day it was very pleasant talking and chatting with other patients and also visits with robbi and the kids and also Jackson and Juli. It is a long day so it makes it nice where they come in shifts and we all have lunch together. Don was able to do his errands during the day and came back after me in the evening.

Our Son Ron, June and Brittany had a little break this week and spending some time with friends boating and skiing at Lake Havasu so they were gone but, it was nice having the rest of the family on Saturday and Sunday.

The last couple of weeks before chemo on Friday, I was feeling pretty good and was able to enjoy many days of comfort by enjoying another day at the performing arts in Brea to enjoy Rilee perform her little Molly part in Annie. It is all over after 10 shows and she said she will miss performing. She just loves it. I am so thankful to be able to enjoy and keep up with some of the activities of the children, as long as it is not too crowded.

I am not feeling as nauseated this time. I have been taking my pills very faithfully and God is helping through all this with his grace and faithfulness. Thank you all for your continued prayers, love and thoughtful cards. All is appreciated and wish I could respond to each of your cards. Love to all from family and dottie

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dottie,
You are my champion! I am so encouraged by your spirit and your thankful attitude in the midst of going through some very long days of uncomfortable chemo treatments, hydration, and not feeling good. You seem to find something good even while going through all of this, if it be talking with others or just seeing your family. I am going to remember your attitude every time I want to complain about something and try to be more like you. Thank you dottie. Always praying and thinking of you.

Sandy

Unknown said...

Hi Dottie,
You encourage me when you share about the "positives" of your experiences - no matter how long and tedious your treatments are. Thanks for helping me to not "monku" so much about the little things that bug me!

My daughter Emily & I will be leaving this Monday for Japan, along with Debbie & Candace Chiya. Hope you can check out our vacation blog when you have a chance! So, no "Banner" this month!

Praying for you each day,
Pam Ikeda ("Madame Editor")